The wars of 1779-83 saw the beginning of fortifications on this site but what remains
today dates from the early and mid 19th century. Construction began in 1804 in response
to the threat posed to Britain by the Napoleonic Wars with France.
The Drop Redoubt was built between 1804-8 (a redoubt is a detached fort, the 'drop'
refers to the remains of Dover's second Roman lighthouse, referred to locally as
the 'Devil's Drop of Mortar').